I never used to be big on freezing anything more than frozen pizza, chicken, and ice cream. But, there are some items that freeze well and having them readily on hand is convenient. (Not to mention save money--when there is a sale--stock up!)
Here's just some of the things I keep in my freezer:
1) Butter--butter freezes well. I buy it by the pound when it goes on sale and put the entire box (no need to wrap) in the freezer. I try to keep two boxes in the freezer and one in the fridge.
2) Nuts--It's the oil in the nuts that make them go bad sooner than you can use them. Put them in the freezer, in separate bags, and they will always be ready for all your cooking/baking needs.
3) Ginger--I keep fresh ginger in a ziploc bag in the freezer. I just grate what I need, no need to thaw.
4) Ground beef, chicken, turkey--I buy the family size from Costco and freeze in 1 lb. portions. You save over a $1/per pound by doing so, and not having to run out to the store is so convenient.
5) Individually quick frozen (IQF) chicken--I love the Kirkland (Costco) brand as each piece is individually wrapped in plastic. Thawing is quick and easy, I soak the chicken (in the plastic pouch) in a large bowl. No more defrosting in the microwave and risking cooked edges!
Welcome to The Helpful Home! We are all extremely busy...with family, kids, or just finding time for ourselves. I hope you will find easy recipes, organizational tips, and helpful hints to make your home life simpler...giving you more time to spend with the ones you love.
Friday, April 6, 2012
Keep these in freezer to keep fresh, save time and money!
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment